Charles M. Hyatt
The Hyatt's were the sons of a blacksmith who lived in Starkey, N.Y. in the Finger Lakes fregion. Charles joined John in Albany in 1866 where he remained until his death on November 16, 1922. He resided at 358 Madison Avenue with his wife Alice Lugenia Deitz. Their daughter Bertha Evelyn Hyatt also lived with her parents. He was with the Embossing Company from its beginnings as the Superintendent. He became the President of the company when Charles Pruyn died. During his years the company prospered and he contributed with a 14 patents. Isaiah Smith Hyatt
Isaiah had 24 patents over his lifetime. He was a news paper editor in Chicago when John ask him to come to Albany to work with him on Celluloid in 1868. He was a marketing man and is credited with coining the word Celluloid. He and John would work together for the rest of their lives.
He was listed as the President of the Embossing Company in the 1870 Albany City Directory. In 1872 he moved to Newark, New Jersey.
John Wesley Hyatt, Jr.
John was born in 1837 and left home at the age of 16 to apprentice in the printing business in Illinois. He had his first patent at age 18. He patented a knife sharpener in Chicago with J. S. Hyatt and Oliver Bacon. Over his lifetime he was involved with 236 patents. His last patent was in 1919. He died in Short Hills, New Jersey, in 1920. There are only a few inventors (Thomas Alva Edison) that exceeded the total number of patents that Hyatt had.
John is most famous for his invention of Celluloid. This was prompted by a $10,000 prize offered for a substitute for the ivory used in billiard balls. He held the first three patents that were the basis of the Embossing Company.John had associations with the following firms The Embossing Company, The Bonsilate Company, Albany Dental Plate Company, Hyatt Manufacturing Company and Hyatt Billiard Ball Company.
John moved to Newark, New Jersey in 1874. He moved there to find the capital needed to develop his patents. In Newark he was involved with Hyatt Roller Bearing Company, The 1 inCelluloid Company, Newark Filter Company, Hyatt Pure Water Company and American Extractor Company.
John was the first member of the Plastics Hall of Fame established after World War II. There is also a John Wesley Hyatt Society that helped develop the National Plastics Center and Museum in Leominster, Massachusetts.
Robert H. Pruyn
Robert Hewson Pruyn was the son of Casparus F. Pruyn and Ann Hewson of Albany. The Pruyn's were citizens of influence and energy in the life of the city. Born in 1815, Robert ofreceived his education at the Albany Academy and Rutgers College. He received legal training working in the law office of the Hon. Abraham Van Vechten. In 1836 he qualified to practice law.
He married Jane Anne Lansing the daughter of Garrit Y. Lansing. They had two children Robert C. and Charles Lansing Pruyn. They lived at 156 State Street. He received an appointment to the Attorney and Counselor for the Corporation of the City of Albany. He was elected to the New York Assembly in 1848 and 1854 and was elected Speaker of the Assembly. President Lincoln appointed Mr. Pruyn to be the United States n,Minister to Japan in September of 1861. In 1867 he ran for Lieutenant Governor but had to drop out as a result of diphtheria. He then chaired the commission to frame amendments to the New York State Constitution.
For many years Mr. Pruyn was president of the National Commercial Bank and was also the Vice-President of the Albany Savings Bank. He was a trustee of the Metropolitan Trust Company, Albany Medical College and Rutgers College. He served on the Board of Directors of the Dudley Observatory and on the Executive Committee of the State Normal School. Mr. Pruyn died, February 26, 1882, at his home on the corner of State and Park Streets.
Robert C. Pruyn
Robert Clarence Pruyn was born in Albany on October 23, 1847. He was the son of Robert H. Pruyn and Jane Ann Lansing Pruyn. He obtained his early education in private schools, then went with his family to Japan, where his father attached to the Tokyo legation as the minister from the United States. He returned to the United States to enter Rutgers College and graduated in 1869. He married Anna Williams of Albany and they had three sons and a daughter.
He served as president of the Embossing Company from 1871 to 1885. During this period he was a participated in 5 patents with Charles Hyatt. The patents were for Improved Picture Puzzles, Slate Frame Books, Ornamenting ABC Blocks, double Reversible Slate Frames and adding a center pin to a Domino.
During the administration of Governor John A. Dix he acted as an aide on the Governor's staff. He later became a member of the Board of Regents. He was noted for his banking activities while the head of the National Commercial Bank and Trust Company. He held directories in eight prominent industries. Among them was Air Reduction Company of New York, which he and Percy Rockefeller were instrumental in founding. The company produced gases for industrial use. Other directories held included Albany City Railway, Municipal Gas Company, Consolidated Car Heating Company, Chase National Bank of New York, Delaware and Hudson Company, New England Illuminating Company and The Federal Signal Company.
Mr. Pruyn was a vestryman of St. Peters Episcopal Church and many times a delegate to the national conventions of the Episcopal Church of America. He was a member of the Sons of the Revolution, the University Club, the University Club of New York City, the Country Club of Albany, the Fort Orange Club, the Albany Institute of History and Art, the Holland Society of New York, the Century Association and the Metropolitan Club of New York. He resided at 7 Englewood Place next to Washington Park in the City.
Mr. Pruyn died October 29, 1934.
Charles L. Pruyn
Charles Lansing Pruyn was born in Albany, December 2, 1852, the son of Robert H. Pruyn and Jane Ann Lansing Pruyn. He prepared for college at the Albany Academy, entering Rutgers and was graduated in 1871.
Upon graduation he joined the Embossing Company in 1871 as a clerk. In 1878 he was promoted to Treasurer a position he held until 1886 when he became President of the company. He would remain in this position until his death in 1906. He had one patent during his years with the company. The patent was for a Child's Block that gave an appearance of animals in cages with embossed bars. This design was produced as Alphabet Blocks #50 and #58.
On October 11, 1877, Mr. Pruyn married Elizabeth Atwood of Chollicothe, Ohio. She died December 20, 1884. They had three children, Elizabeth McClintock, Jane Anne Lansing and Sarah McClintock Pruyn. The latter died in infancy.
He wed a second time to Sarah Gibson Talcott on October 20, 1886. They had a son Casper Lansing and a daughter Olive Sherman Talcott Pruyn.
Charles became actively identified with many of the most important of its financial institutions. He was a trustee of the Albany savings Bank, a director of the New York State National Bank, the Union Trust Company and the Albany Insurance Company. In matters of education he held a deep interest and was a trustee of the State Normal College, the Albany Medical College, the Dudley Observatory and the Albany Boy's club. He was a member of the University Club and president of the Fort Orange Club. He served as a board member of the Park Commission of the City of Albany. He founded the Pruyn Branch of the Albany Public Library in memory of his parents. The main branch of the Albany Public Library has painting of his parents in the Pruyn Room.
Charles started the Albany Forge just before his death. The cast cribbage boards shown in the 1907 Embossing Company Catalog was manufactured by the Albany Forge.
He lived at 44 Willett Street until his death on July 7, 1906.